Book Your Hotel in Las Pinas Today
Las Piñas, officially called the City of Las Piñas (Filipino: Lungsod ng Las Piñas), is a city in the National Capital Region of the Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 588,894.
Las Pinas is bounded to the northeast by Parañaque; to the southeast by Muntinlupa; to the west and southwest by Bacoor; and to the northwest by Manila Bay. Half of its land area is residential and the remaining half is used for commercial, industrial and institutional purposes. The present physiography of Las Piñas consists of three zones: Manila Bay, coastal margin and the Guadalupe Plateau.
Las Pinas was established as a small fishing port and became a major sea salt-producing municipality, through the use of salt evaporation ponds, dating back to the Spanish Era, the city has grown into an important residential, commercial and industrial suburb of Metro Manila.
The Sarao Motors factory, also located in Las Piñas, is the place where jeepneys are assembled piece by piece in painstaking individual production. The factory remains open to buyers and curious tourists all year round.
Las Piñas also houses SM Southmall, which has an area of 205,120 square meters and is located along Alabang–Zapote Road. The newest shopping mall development in the city is Robinsons Place Las Piñas. The first high-rise building in the city is the 16-storey residential Almanza Metropolis while more high-rise buildings will rise in the city soon including South Residences at SM Southmall a 4 tower 15 storey condominium.
The story about the true origin of the city’s name, “Las Piñas”, varies. One version mentioned, that traders from the province of Cavite and Batangas shipped their first piñas (Spanish for pineapples) for sale to this town, before they were distributed to nearby markets. Another version related, that it was “Las Peñas” (the rocks), evident by the quarrying of stones and adobe, which were used to construct buildings and bridges. The old church bell, from St. Joseph Parish Church, founded by Diego Cera, has been preserved inside the church museum. An inscription on the bell states, “Siendo cura del pueblo de Laspeñas el M.R.P. Padre Diego Cera se fundió este equilón año de 1820,” showing, that even during the time of Diego Cera, the town’s first parish priest, that the town was called “Las Peñas”, for sometime and eventually, was renamed “Las Piñas”.
Las Piñas was one of the earliest fishing settlements on the shores of Manila Bay. It was proclaimed as a town of Manila province either in 1762 or 1797. Agustin de la Cavada, a Spanish historian, and Fr. Juan de Medina placed it at 1762. Las Piñas was formerly called “Las Pilas” due to its separation from Parañaque due to tribal conflicts. On the other hand, Manuel Buzeta recorded the date at 1797. Felix Timbang was the first gobernadorcillo in year 1762 while Mariano Ortiz was the first municipal president of the town of Las Piñas.
Besides being famous for its Bamboo Organ, which was built by Fr. Diego Cera and completed in 1824, the town of Las Piñas was also a major war theater during the 1896 Philippine Revolution, as it was occupied by forces of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. Las Piñas was occupied by the Japanese during World War II and liberated by the combined American and Filipino forces.
In 1901, the municipality of Las Piñas was separated from Manila and incorporated to the newly created province of Rizal pursuant to the Philippine Commission Act No. 137. Two years later, in accordance with Act No. 942, it was combined with the town of Parañaque, with the latter as the seat of a new municipal government.
It was separated from Parañaque to become an independent municipality again on March 27, 1907 by virtue of Philippine Commission Act No. 1625. On November 7, 1975, through Presidential Decree No. 824, Las Piñas was excised from the province of Rizal to form Metro Manila. Las Piñas became one of the municipalities making up the region.
On February 12, 1997, President Fidel V. Ramos signed the bill which elevated Las Piñas from municipality into a city. A plebiscite held a month after approved the city status by its residents, and Las Piñas became the 10th city of Metro Manila on March 26, 1997. The current mayor of Las Piñas is Imelda Aguilar, wife of previous city’s mayor, Vergel “Nene” Aguilar.
|Population census of Las Piñas|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Las Piñas, like other cities of the Philippines, is a local government unit whose powers and functions are specified by the Local Government Code of the Philippines. In general, as a city, Las Piñas is headed by a mayor who heads the city’s executive function and the vice mayor who heads the city’s legislative function, which is composed of twelve councilors, six each from the city’s two city council districts. For representation, the city is considered as one district, and therefore one representative, in the country’s House of Representatives.
Additionally, like other cities and municipalities, Las Piñas is subdivided into barangays.
Districts and barangays
Las Piñas is divided into 20 barangays. These barangays are grouped into two legislative districts, each with its own set of representatives in the city council. District 1 comprises the northwestern half of the city while District 2, the remaining half.
|Area (km²)||Density (/km²)||Zip Code|
|Pulang Lupa Uno||1st||35,602|
|C.A.A. – B. F. International||1st||69,660|
|Pulang Lupa Dos||1st||30,779|
- SM Southmall is a large shopping mall owned and operated by SM Prime Holdings. The mall opened in April 1995, and is the first SM Supermall in southern region of Metro Manila, the 5th SM Supermall ever built by Chinese-Filipino businessman, Henry Sy, Sr. and the 10th largest shopping mall in the Philippines. The mall is 2nd shopping mall in the South Metro Manila Area in terms of its size which is 200,000 square metres (2,152,782 sq ft) of land area and a total floor area of 205,120 square metres (2,207,893 sq ft). It went through major renovation on 2010 and currently caters to all social classes.
- Robinsons Place Las Piñas is the city’s newest shopping center which opened in October 25, 2014 along Alabang-Zapote Road in Talon Tres. It is the first and only Robinsons Mall in the South Metro Manila area.
- SM Center Las Piñas is a shopping mall owned and operated by SM Prime Holdings. The mall opened on October 2, 2009, and is the second SM Supermall in Las Piñas, the 35th SM Supermall ever built by Chinese-Filipino businessman, Henry Sy, Sr.. Unlike the other SM Malls, SM Center is noted to be smaller, having no department store and only three SM-owned retail stores and is mostly visited by nearby locals for its supermarket.
- SM Hypermarket (formerly Makro; a warehouse-turned-supermarket owned by Henry Sy, Sr.)
- Starmall Las Piñas
- Starmall Las Piñas – Annex
- Puregold Las Pinas
- Evia Lifestyle Center
- Uniwide Metro Mall is a dilapidated mall which unofficially serves the lower and lower-middle classes. Originally a mall catering to the middle class with ready-to-wear clothes, due to the Asian financial crisis, Uniwide Sales, Inc. lost a lot of its net worth and became a low-maintenance shopping mall with few retail stores and a supermarket.
The strengthening of the basic education sector is always at the agenda of local city mayors and the city officials. Twelve public high schools and 22 elementary schools were constructed to accommodate the growing number of the enrollees every year.
To date, there are 77 day care centers with feeding program in 20 barangays in Las Piñas.
- Philippine Merchant Marine School – Las Piñas Campus
- University of Perpetual Help System DALTA
- STI College Las Piñas
- Dr. Filemon C. Aguilar Memorial College, a public college that offers Bachelor of Science in Accountancy, and Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Majoring in Marketing, Financial Management and Human Resources Development Management), to deserving Las Piñeros.
- Dr. Filemon C. Aguilar Information Technology Training Institute (DFCAITTI), a public college that offer diploma courses like computer programming, computer technology, and graphic arts.
- Saint Francis of Assisi College – Las Piñas City
- Bernardo College
- Don Carlo Cavina School
- Southville International School and Colleges
- Centro Escolar Las Piñas
- Almanza Elementary School
- CAA Elementary School
- Daniel Fajardo Elementary School
- Doña Manuela Elementary School
- Gatchalian Elementary School
- Ilaya Elementary School
- Las Piñas Elementary School
- Manuyo Elementary School
- Moonwalk Elementary School
- Pamplona Elementary School
- Pilar Elementary School
- Pulanlupa Elementary school
- Pulanlupa Elementary School-Annex
- Talon Elementary School
- Vergonville Elementary School
- Zapote Elementary School
Public High schools
- Las Piñas East National High School – Verdant Annex II
- Las Piñas East National High School – Equitable Annex II
- Las Piñas East National High School – Talon Village Annex II
- Las Piñas National High School
- Las Piñas National High School – Gatchalian Annnex
- CAA National High School
- CAA National High School – Annex
- Golden Acres National High School
- Las Piñas North National High School
- Las Piñas Science High School
- Academy of Jesus
- Almanza Baptist Christian Academy
- Angel of the Holy Spirit Academy
- Angelus Academy
- Aphastar Educational Center, Inc.
- Au-Parr Alabang Montessori
- Augustinian Abbey School
- B.F Homes School
- Behany Montessori Learning Center, Inc.
- Blessed Mother Mary Learning Center
- Blessed Scubilion Learning Center
- Blessed Trinity School of Las Piñas
- Bloomfield Academy
- Bright Morning Star School, Inc.
- Brittany School of Las Piñas
- CAA Baptist Academy
- Camella School, Inc.
- Child’s Joy Pre-school and Learning Center
- Copel School
- Creative Middle School
- Dela Carese Montessori
- Divine Light Academy
- Don Stevens Institute of Las Piñas
- Elizabeth Seton School
- Fr. Angelico Lipani School, Inc.
- Fr. Donato Giannoti Foundation, Inc.
- Green Vineyard Learning Center
- Greenfield Learning Center of Las Piñas
- GRR Integrated Learning Center
- Harvest Time Ministries Christina Academy
- Holy Rosary Academy of Las Piñas
- Immaculate Heart of Mary School
- Immaculate Mary Montessori School
- Infant Jesus Institute, Inc.
- Integrated Movement Academy, Inc.
- Jesus is Lord Christian School Foundation
- Kencare Learning Center
- Las Piñas Baptist Academy
- Light and Knowledge Learning School
- Little Ones Integrated School
- Madre Guilla Salzano School
- Magnificat Training and LEarning Center
- Mary Immaculate Parish Special School
- Mary of Peace School
- Mulberry Hills School Manila
- Our Lady of Lotero Catholic of Las Piñas
- Regis Grace Montessori School
- St. Acacius Academy
- St. Catherine De Ricci School, Inc.
- St. Joseph’s Academy
- St. Mark’s Institute
- St. Michael’s School, Inc.
- St. Therese School, Inc.
- Teacher Aida Tutorial Center and Nursery School
- Wishbone Kiddie Camp
Las Piñas is part of the route of the extension of the LRT Line 1, the South Extension Project, whose construction started on May 4, 2017. Once Phase 2 of the project is completed, Las Piñas will be served by the LRT Line 1 through the Las Piñas and Zapote stations.
The road network of Las Piñas are radial in nature, and primarily relies on the Alabang–Zapote Road (N411), which serves as the city’s road network backbone. The Manila – Cavite Expressway (formerly Coastal Road, and numbered E3), a toll expressway serves as the major traffic route towards Manila. Daang Hari, which hugs near the boundary with Muntinlupa, and the Aguinaldo Highway (N62) are the major traffic routes toward Cavite. The Muntinlupa-Cavite Expressway (MCX), that leads to South Luzon Expressway, supplements Daang Hari as an alternate to the congested Alabang-Zapote Road over Alabang and Ayala Alabang in Muntinlupa.
The road network in Las Piñas suffers from traffic jams, especially on the primary artery, Alabang-Zapote Road, which carried more than 70,000 vehicles daily as of 2016. Public transport, like buses and jeepneys, fill up Alabang-Zapote Road, therefore causing further congestion. The city government petitioned the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to suspend issuing of franchises on bus and jeepneys routes that uses Alabang-Zapote Road.
The Las Piñas Friendship Route network serves as the alternate routes on the congested routes, but motorists have to obtain a sticker to use them, as most roads of the network are located in privately-owned subdivisions (gated communities), like BF Homes, Pilar Village, and BF Resort.
Jeepneys and buses form the major public transport system, and most of their routes follow the Alabang-Zapote Road. Most jeepneys through Las Piñas travel between Alabang and Zapote, within the city, or Baclaran, in Parañaque. Buses usually form routes between Alabang or SM Southmall and destinations in Manila. Buses and jeepneys are blamed for the worsening congestion on Alabang-Zapote Road.
On February 22, 1995, then President Fidel V. Ramos signed Republic Act 8003 into a law – declaring Las Piñas Church and Bamboo Organ, Las Piñas Bridge, Asinan Area, Father Diego Cera Bridge, and Old District Hospital as tourist spots of Las Piñas.
Las Piñas is famous for its Bamboo Organ located inside the St. Joseph Parish Church in the old district of the city. Built in 1824 by a Catholic priest, Fr. Diego Cera, it is the only organ of its kind in the world with organ pipes mostly made out of bamboo. This famous organ is praised for its unique, rare, and melodious sound.
Las Piñas Historical Corridor Project
The Las Piñas Historical Corridor Project was a program laid to restore the Old Town of Las Piñas. It was launched at the Malacañan Heroes’ Hall on November 13, 1997. The project aims to educate the people of Las Piñas along the tourist corridor. 18 structures were included along the historical corridor, namely;
- Boundary Arc
- Bulwagang Ezekiel Moreno
- Santuario de San Ezekiel Moreno
- Police and Fire Station
- Public Library
- Plaza Quezon – designated as the Freedom Park in the City of Las Piñas by City Ordinance No. 700-06, Series of 2006. This was in accordance with Section 15 of Batas Pambansa Blg. 880, otherwise known as the “Public Assembly Act of 1985”.
- Central Elementary School
- E. Aldana Police Station
- Fr. Diego Cera Bridge
- Historical and Cultural Museum
- Las Piñas Fish Port
- Irasan Center
- Las Piñas Manpower Youth Council – TESDA Building
- Zapote Police Station
- Las Piñas General Hospital and Satellite Trauma Center
- Zapote Bridge
- Brgy. Hall of Zapote
- Centennial Flyover
- Molino Dam
Las Piñas Town Feast
The town fiesta of Las Piñas is celebrated every first Sunday of May each year to honor its patron saint, Saint Joseph. Saint Joseph’s Day celebration is centered in St. Joseph Parish Church in the old poblacion of Las Piñas in Brgy. Daniel Fajardo on Padre Diego Cera Ave. (Quirino Ave.). Las Piñas was also the home of Mary Immaculate Parish Church, popularly known as the Nature Church, designed by Architect Francisco “Bobby” Mañosa.
Las Piñas is also home to unique festivals such as:
- International Bamboo Organ Festival, a music festival held in February celebrating the music of the unique Bamboo Organ with performances by local and foreign classical artists.
- Waterlily Festival – every July 27.
- “Parol” or Lantern Festival – celebrated during Christmas season.
- Las Piñas City Historical Festival – celebrated every March to commemorate significant historical events that happened in the city.